We’re gonna be regular up in here yo! After a fun road trip through Maryland’s eastern shore yesterday that involved a stop at a Holly’s Restaurant for brunch, a fabulous cookout at my Aunt and Uncle’s farm, and a sublime delmonico steak at Theo’s in St. Michael’s, I’m glad I spent Saturday using my CSA delivery to cook some healthy and well, high-fiber vegetables.
Admittedly it takes time to get everything chopped, but then the cooking is quick and the whole market basket is done and you have time for a road trip. My family had a nice visit to Windswept Farm, keeping cool in the pond, cooking out, playing songs and looking up lyrics on iPhone : )
When we got home Sunday night, I was happy to know I had all of this prep and cooking done! I had tons of peppers and chiles, baby carrots, onions, celery, and of course squash.
I’ve learned that some of the squash coming from the farm is tougher than the others, so I chop those smaller, and start them cooking earlier to try to get everything to come out at the right doneness. The small bowl on the right has the yellow squash that needs more cooking time and the rest of the squash is next to it. Then I got cooking.
Summer Stir Fry
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
I used the vegetables I had on hand, but of course substitute in your favorites. I wish I'd had mushrooms on hand.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced on bias
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 2 cups mild peppers and bell peppers, chopped and julienned
- 1 carrot, julienned or 6-8 baby carrots, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup picked cilantro or julienned basil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar or Ideal (optional)
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped (optional)
- heat 1 Tbsp sesame oil over medium high heat and add onion, celery, and I added tougher squash; cook 2-3 minutes
- make a well in the bottom of the wok or pan and add another Tbsp of oil, then garlic
- allow garlic to cook 10 seconds and then add remaining vegetables, stir everything and cover
- you can add a couple Tbsp of water and and/or lower heat of vegetables are scorching before cooking through
- add sherry and soy sauce; continue cooking 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender but crisp and the sauce has reduced
- finish with sugar or Ideal, peanuts and herbs