When I stir fried the other night I happened to have some left over roasted chicken, so I decided to dress it up to go along with the veggies. I wound up doing a cheat version of a favorite recipe of Ina Garten’s from her book Barefoot Contessa Parties! Her recipe is excellent, but I do generally cut way back on the oil. This time I cut back on it entirely because I didn’t need much and wasn’t make the full salad with the vegetables etc.
For my cheat version I put about a quarter cup of peanut butter in bowl and whisked in about a tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and soy sauce, and added a touch of honey and sesame oil. I served it with some barley and the veg stir fry. Turned out great, but in the meantime, the full recipe is even better and is a wonderful thing to have in the fridge.
Chinese Chicken Salad
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
from Barefoot Contessa Parties!
8 split chicken breasts (bone in, skin on)
good olive oil
freshly cracked pepper
1 lb asparagus, ends removed, cut into thirds diagonally
2 red bell pepper julienne
4 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
2 Tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1 cup vegetable oil (I use half this)
1/4 apple cider vinegar
1/3 soy sauce
3 Tbsp dark sesame oil
1 Tbsp honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled, grated
1 Tbsp white sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (I use chunky)
4 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- preheat oven to 350
- place chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub the skin with olive oil; sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and roast for 35 to 40 minutes until just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- remove meat from the bones, discard the skin and shred the chicken into large, bite-sized pieces
- blanche asparagus in a large pot of salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes until crisp tender. Remove to ice water and drain when cool.
- combine chicken, asparagus and red pepper in a large bowl
- whisk together all ingredients for the dressing and pour over chicken and vegetables
- add scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste
- serve room temperature or cold