Hey little girl, want a pretty hat and a pony? Apparently the Virginia Gold Cup is all it takes for me to completely revert to childhood.
Our friend has a tent? Oh great, I’ll help with the tailgate, snap pictures, blogpost. It wasn’t until the races were over and the tents were cleaned up that I realized I had not taken one picture of food. Not my food, not anyone else’s food. Between the beautiful hats, fashion-watching, and the purdy horsies, I was like a small child with bright shiny objects, unable to think about anything else I might want to tend to.
Nevertheless I did cook, so I have a recipe to share and a few pix, even if they are not of anything edible.
And got to visit with our gracious host Steve Berry.Thanks for a great day Steve!
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Roasted Fennel Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Roasting or grilling fennel gives it such a light earthy flavor and I love it with lemon and toasted pine nuts.
1 head cauliflower
2-3 head broccoli
3 fennel bulbs
2 lemons, zested and juiced
1 jalapeño, seeded, minced
.25 cup pine nuts, toasted
.5 cup white wine vinegar, plus juice from the lemons above
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
1.5 cup olive oil
1 Tbsp thyme, picked
.25 cup basil, chopped
- cut cauliflower and broccoli into bite-sized florets and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- blanch the cauliflower then the broccoli in batches, removing each batch to ice water, then draining and drying
- heat the oven to 400 degrees and cut the fennel into medium dice; alternatively half-inch slices of the fennel and grill on medium high. Grilled fennel is the best!
- roast fennel for 5-7 minutes until softened and edges brown
- combine vinegar, lemon juice and mustard
- whisk in oil slowly, add herbs and season with salt and pepper
- combine all salad ingredients and vinaigrette
- refrigerate and re-season to taste - the flavor will mellow as it sits in the fridge, so if you make this the night before you plan to eat, you may want to add more lemon zest, herbs, salt and pepper